Thursday, February 26, 2009

Naturalizing Bulbs for Spring - Wisley Blue and Grape Hyacinth

When it comes to naturalizing bulbs in spring I've found wisley blue and grape hyacinth to be real troopers for your garden. I've planted wisley blue, that lovely star shaped flower, in a strawberry container with some sedums. The wisley blue bulbs really multiplied well and put on a beautiful show in spring. I planted some wisley blue bulbs in the big wine barrel in our back yard along with some yellow daffodils here in Eureka. So far one bulb has flowered along with the daffodils, this particular wisley blue is very blue indeed, so pretty. I'm hoping eventually the barrel will be full of the blue starflowers and then I will start transplanting them wherever I can. As small as they are wisley blues are a great way to start off your spring garden and wonderful combined with daffodils towering over them.

I planted grape hyacinths in a few places in the front and back yards in Petaluma. After a few years they were everywhere, just wonderful during spring with their dark blue/purple triangular shaped flowers and long grassy stems. Grape hyacinths are easy to grow and come in a number of colors. I'd love to try the lighter blue version of the bulb in my Eureka garden. I have a curly willow in the front yard that is growing bigger every year. The previous home owner built up some dirt and rock to surround the bottom of the curly willow. I transplanted some pink hyacinth around the base of the curly willow and would like to add some grape hyacinth in with the larger pink hyacinth. The grape hyacinth would certainly fill out the base of the curly willow tree and add a deep blue/purple color to contract with the light pink of the large hyacinth bulbs.

If you are looking for naturalizing bulbs for spring, wisley blue and grape hyacinth are perfect choices for long lasting color that will light up your garden and fill in the spaces below your taller spring bulbs.

Stumble Upon Toolbar