Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Salvia Plant in the Sun and the Drooping Cherry Tree

I'm planting some summer bulbs and one I found was a salvia bulb. I've never really used salvia before in my garden and frankly I didn't know it was a bulb, apparently after checking up on salvia there are a few species that have rhizomes or tubers. I'm pretty interested in bulbs so this was new to me. It surprised me to find this bulb so of course I had to have it. This purple salvia bulb is planted near the porch behind the heather bush, between the pink jasmine climbing up the porch railing and the pointy cypress like tree, one of two which are standing guard on either side of the gate. This is a barren area I've had trouble planting in and I am hoping the salvia plant will do the trick to fill the area with some extra color. Its a semi-shady area with a reasonable amount of sun tucked in the corner of the porch and this salvia can take partial shade. I'm eager to see if this salvia will grow well there and can't wait until it blooms in summer.

The drooping cherry tree is starting to bud now as spring is getting closer. This is still a young tree but from everything I've read about them they are a smaller tree of ten to twelve feet in height. I certainly hope so since having a larger tree won't work well for the front yard. I don't want to cover up too much of the Victorian facade as its so beautiful, the garden should compliment it rather than be the star of the property. I've had problems with the cherry tree having infestation of fly larvae, little black larvae that ruin the beautiful leaves on the tree every year. I've read that this is a common infestation for cherry trees. If you don't rid the tree of the first infestation then multiple infestations follow with the result being tattered looking leaves. I tried using Neem which is a natural oil that is supposed to kill them off, unfortunately it really didn't work to get rid of all of the fly larvae. This year we turn to pesticides. I rarely if ever use them in my garden preferring natural means but in this case its the only method that will work. Next garden nursery visit I'm finding something that will work to rid the tree of these pests.

Spring in Eureka is really more like fall weather, the blooming season seems to be delayed a good month or two for all my plants compared to the warmer climate in Petaluma in Sonoma County. Generally the warmer weather of 65 to 70 degrees doesn't kick in until May or June. I don't mind it a bit, I love the cooler coastal weather and my favorite plants do well here. As the weather starts to warm with the coming of spring the bulbs in the front yard are starting to bloom, among them yellow daffodils, peach colored tulips and purple dutch iris. They are forming a lovely pattern surrounding the flower beds and walkway leading up to the front porch. It will take a few more years to achieve the effect I'm working toward in the garden but eventually the colorful bulbs will cascade throughout the front yard with spring color.

Stumble Upon Toolbar