Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lavenders in The Coastal Garden

I've found since I've lived here on the northern California coast that warm weather plants struggle to do well, which is no surprise. I have a number of lavenders I planted in the first year we move into our victorian home. Most are almost fully grown and doing well.

I have two lavender "Goodwin Creek Grey" that are really spectacular. This lavender originated in Oregon and has a very long bloom time, from summer well into winter. I planted the pair of lavenders under my dining room window and they are thriving even though they are not in full sun all day long.







The other pair of lavenders I planted are "Grosso", with long dark violet blue flowers and a high oil content. These plants produced a large number of fragrant flowers, long wands of which I cut last year to dry the flowers. The base of the plant is very rounded and the lavender flower wands are probably a foot long when in full bloom. The "Grosso" lavenders are planted under the main window in the front yard. Both of these lavender varieties grown 30 inches tall or better.




Along with these two varieties I bought a very small six pack of "Munstead" lavender. The other varieties came in a 4 inch pot, the "Munstead" lavender were packaged in a tiny six pack for a great price. I thought it was a great deal, purchased them and planted the tiny lavenders out year before last in the spring under the climbing pink roses in the front yard. Currently the plants are no bigger than four or five inches tall and limping along, growing poorly at best. I'd imagined how pretty they would be billowing out under the feet of the pink roses. I've used "Munstead" lavender in my Petaluma garden and had no problem with them growing in the past. Whether it is the coastal weather, the variety, the area they are planted in or the small original size they came in these lavenders are sulking and barely growing.

I'm giving the "Munstead" lavenders one more season to get growing, otherwise I will need to replace them with one of the other variety and move them to the sun area in the back yard.

Stumble Upon Toolbar