Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Arrives On The North Coast

Spring is officially here on the north coast. The early crocus and grape hyacinth bulbs start coming up at the end of February and by early March the large hyacinth and daffodils start to open up. The back flower bed is full of large hyacinth and a few daffodils so far.

This past weekend was spent hedge trimming, you can tell we have come into spring season when the hedge starts showing four or five inch sprouts of growth on the top of the hedge. I trimmed down the top and sides of the hedge for its yearly spring trim to help keep it in shape through the growing season. If I trim it enough then it's just touch ups here and there until fall when I give it another trim before winter hits.

While I had the hedge trimmer out I also trimmed up the passionflower vines on the front fence. I still have to trim up the lower portion of the vines since there are tons of seedlings at the bottom of the vines that need to be cut back. This severe trim gets the passionflower vines ready for summer season and the huge amount of growth that happens in a few short months. After last summer's successful watering and production of flowers I'll start watering the vines early on to help produce mass amounts of flowers.

I bought a box of windflower bulbs and a purple daylily from my local grocery store. They have half price bulbs in spring and fall, it's a great deal so I stock up weekly until they are sold out. I planted windflowers in the barrel with the heathers last fall and the windflowers look great surrounding the heather plants so I will add more in the barrel this spring. The daylily will be planted out in the front yard next to the passionflower vines and climbing roses. I have a piece of the purple geranium in that same spot, it is starting to grow so pairing the purple daylily next to it will be a pretty combination beside the purple and green passionflowers on the vines.

The box of giant columbines contained four plants with roots, they were planted in the front flower bed adjacent to the flowering cherry tree. I'm hoping these plants take hold, the last batch of columbines I planted were small columbines and they didn't seed well. If the giant columbines seed well in this flower bed it would be a good addition to the heaths, heathers, fuchsias, foxgloves and penstemon already planted there.

Stumble Upon Toolbar