Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Foxgloves, Fuchsias, Sweet Peas and Mint

The local nursery and hardware store was having a big sale, we arrived and found some goodies to purchase. In the nursery section I found a small six pack of foxgloves. I have a few established in the shade bed in the back yard but most of the original foxgloves I planted next to the porch the first year we were here are gone. I planted the six pack of foxgloves in the corner next to my clematis. I originally planted three plants there, with six plants in place, I hope there will be enough seeding of these biennials to keep them going in the porch area.

The next sale items I found were some small fuchsia starts at $1.99 apiece. I bought two, both have lavender purple flowers and should be great in the back yard or in the front yard, I haven't decided where they will go yet. I have fuchsias in the front and back yards, they are one of my favorite plants and love the coastal weather.

We had been talking about buying a mint plant 'just cause'. I need to come up with a pot to plant the mint, when you plant mint directly in the ground it can become very invasive and I'd like to avoid that. A big pot of mint will be great to use for ice tea or cooking recipes. We got a spearmint plant, the leaves are bright green and the plant looks very healthy. I'm looking forward to planting it next weekend and watching it grow big over the coming season.

I have some sweet peas growing already for the obelisk in the back yard. I had a pack that I purchased from the store and planted, then I received a pack of sweet peas from my BBC Gardener's World magazine. I decided to plant the the new pack of sweet peas in with the other seeds for a succession of blooms. The sweet pea seedlings are growing in a pot outdoors until they get a littler bigger and stronger, then I will plant them beneath the obelisk. This method worked very well last year and helped keep the snails from eating away at the new sweet peas shoots.

I decided to purchase a third pack of sweet peas at the nursery sale to grow in the trellis boxes in the front yard. After a few of the passionflower vines died off last summer, there is less growing up and out of the top area of the trellis boxes. I'm hoping the sweet peas work well there and can climb up the old stems of the passionflower vines. These particular sweet peas are a beautiful variety pink and lavender shades that grow 8 to 12 feet tall, a perfect height for the tall trellis boxes. This variety is supposed to be very fragrant, I can't wait to see how these tall sweet pea vines do in the trellis boxes this summer.

Stumble Upon Toolbar