Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seeded Shasta Daisy Thriving In The Coastal Garden

I mentioned previously that a Shasta daisy from across the street seeded itself into a crack in the sidewalk in front of our house. The Shasta daisy was growing quite well where it was, so I dug out about six roots, some with flowers, and potted them up. Two of the roots with flowers were planted in the front yard in the flower bed behind the drooping cherry tree. So far the flowers are open and seem to be thriving in the potted plants and the two roots in the flower bed are also continuing to flower and thrive. Shasta daisies are a clump-forming perennial that blooms from June to September, a long time for such beautiful white daisy blooms. The neighbor's two bunches of Shasta daisies are a good three to four feet wide and almost as tall. I'm hoping my newly transplanted daisy roots will do well in the front yard flower bed. I may plant some near the roses too, just to balance out the daisies in the front yard. It is always fun to find plants seeded in your yard that you didn't plant yourself. In this case I had wanted to get a Shasta daisy because the neighbor's plants looked so good in summer, so I feel fortunate the daisy seeded in our yard. My only concern is how big the plant will get by the time it fully establishes itself in the front yard, hopefully it won't push out the heathers growing in the same flower bed.

I was reading my BBC Gardener's World magazine and came upon an article about privet. Our front yard hedges are made up of privet and boxwood. I much prefer the look of boxwood, being more delicate looking. The privet can be quite a handful to keep trimmed down to shape the hedge, especially in summer weather. The article about privet said you could simply take a woody piece of privet, stick it in the ground and it will root and grow rapidly. Now I've never tried this myself but its good to know if this is indeed the case if our privet hedge ends up with a bare spot dying off. Our privet hedge is certainly hardy if nothing else, not much will hurt it, even severe pruning. Those of you with privet keep in mind if you need more privet, take a cutting, stick it in the ground and give it a try, you never know it might just work.

Speaking of plants seeding that you didn't plant, in our back yard there is some sort of thistle that has taken root and grown a foot or so, with one of the thistle's flowers already open at the top of the stem. I don't know if this plant is a weed or something more but I decided to let it grow and see what comes of this rogue plant. The one flower that is showing on the thistle is purple and quite pretty. I'll give this plant a chance and see what happens once it gets bigger and the other flowers open.

Stumble Upon Toolbar