Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Clearing Skies And Summer Bulbs

Towards the end of April I saw an opportunity to get out in the garden and plant my summer bulbs. I'm recovering from a chest cold so I knew it was now or never what with the North Coast and its continuing rain showers through April and sometimes into May. I planted part of the bulbs I had then had to stop from my cold fatique.

First I took a pack of my nasturtium seeds and threw them on the ground under the roses in the front yard. I am trying a different method of how nasturtium seeds tend to take hold after dropping off the vine to the ground. I covered the seeds in a thin layer of potting soil, letting the natural rains water the seeds in to take root. I am determined to have nasturtiums naturalize in the corner under the climbing roses, we'll see if this method works well and if so, the second pack of nasturtiums will be finding a home soon as well.

Next I planted two Japanese windflowers and two blue echinops in the space between the climbing pink roses and passionflower vines on the fence. These plants are both taller and should make a nice contrast of daisy-like flowers on both the Japanese windflowers with pink with yellow centers and the blue colored echinops. I planted the two tall pink coneflowers in the back of the front flowerbed behind the drooping cherry tree.

My final planting was of two pink spider lilies, the photo is very pretty so I hope they are as lovely as the photo shows them to be. I took a chance and planted the two pink lilies under my green arbor, which has a canvas top. The area is next to my chair and sheltered, with filtered light, which the planting instructions say work for this lily. The bulbs already had quite a bit of tip growth, I'm eager to see how they do in this spot.

I still have a Siberian iris to plant and a few other summer bulbs including a lavender astilbe. Siberian iris like wet areas but I'm not sure where the best place to plant it in my yard since its so rainy here most of the year. My guess is with fog and rainy weather, anywhere in the yard will work here on the North Coast.

I need to buy some more stand alone plastic pots to plant the pink dahlia bulb and the astilbe. I prefer terra cotta or ceramic pots for my plants but it seems all gardening pots are very overpriced at the local stores since we are so far north. It's frustrating, but the green pots at the local nursery will do for the dahlia and astilbe that will be sitting on the patio table. Time to plan a trip to the nursery and stock up on cheaper pots.

Stumble Upon Toolbar