Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Geranium Taking Over The Yard

When we first move to our home in Eureka there were a few geraniums in pots sitting in the back yard. I prefer geraniums that are scented or different than the traditional geraniums our grandmothers grew. One of the plants had a dark pink flower with burgundy colored markings in the flowers. This geranium seems like the old-fashioned geraniums of yore, but the flower is really beautiful on this plant. The other is a vibrant light pink scented geranium which smells of roses. Both of these plants were small, no more than 1 to 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide if that much. I decided it was time to plant these in the ground last fall.

I planted the darker pink flowered geranium on one side of the holly trees, next to the greenhouse. The area tends to get a lot of shade, but I knew these plants are hardy so I went ahead and planted it. The ferns and calla lilies complement the dark pink flowers and wide leaves of the geranium. This summer the dark pink geranium is a good 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide with some flowers, not too many, but still much better than when it was in the pot. The other light pink geranium was planted on the other side of the holly trees, a sunny spot near the corner of the green arbor. Part of the plant was behind the green arbor with a little sticking out from the wall of the arbor. I thought the geranium would do well there. That's an understatement. The picture you see here is showing only a portion of the plant. The pink scented geranium has grown to 4 feet tall and at least 5 to 6 feet wide! This scented geranium loves the sunny location and took off, overtaking the back area of the arbor.

I took a few pieces of the pink scented geranium to try to root in water along with some other plant pieces I'm trying to root. If these pink scented geraniums grow roots I will pot them up and grow them in pots until next spring or summer. I have a few places in the front yard that would be a perfect sunny location for the pink scented geranium. I'm hoping they root well and grow so I can add them to the front yard and watch how big they grow there.

Stumble Upon Toolbar