Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Tending to the Summer Garden

Time gets past you some weekends and our coastal garden has missed some of its usual trimming due to life's interruptions. This past weekend we had a cooler summer day (in the mid fifties instead of the mid sixties on the coast) so we decided it was time to do some serious hedge trimming and mowing.

My husband worked on the overgrown front yard hedges, he used the hedge-trimmer and cut back one of the two hedges. There was so much garden waste that he could only cut back one hedge this week, the other will need to wait until next weekend. Usually we have cut back the hedges in March instead of July, then trim them up one more time before the fall rains hit in October. So there is plenty of extra growth happening which means the hedges are going gang-busters when it comes to putting out stems. The hedges had so much extra growth there was quite a bit of white blooms happening on the stems, which no doubt was a bonus for the local hummingbirds.

Mowing happened in the front yard with my husband manning the mower while I used the weed-whacker to trim back the front yard edges and hit a few taller weed along the way. I am still sore today from swinging the electric weed-whacker but the front yard looks oh so much better now. Next after trimming was planting up two new plants I bought at our local garden center.

While I was in the front yard I also dug holes and planted my new plants near the pink climbing roses. The Goodwin Creek lavender has already put on a few inches growth and was flowering madly waiting to be planted. The ground cover is a thick growing plant, I am hoping between the wide growth of the lavender (if it grows the same as the back yard lavenders) and the heavy-duty ground cover it will fill in bare spot next to the passionflower vine and pink rose. I also dug up a plant that has seeded a number of places in the front yard, it is similar in growth to the cotoneaster ground cover under the pink roses but this plant gets even bigger with thicker stems, as well as flowers and berries like the cotoneaster. I haven't had time to identify this plant but it looks great where it has seeded itself in the front yard.

I am tending to my four passionflower vines I bought from an online garden store. I'm really unhappy with the results so far. The vines have not grown at all since being planted two months ago and the two smaller ones are dying off. I'm going to contact the garden store and see if I can get a refund. The trellis boxes were filled with new dirt, watered plenty and give time-released fertilizer but the vines have been doing poorly to say the least. It is very disappointing after all the work we did to clean out the trellis boxes so we could have new blooms on the trellis this summer.

Stumble Upon Toolbar