Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Red Passionflower Vines for the Trellis

I had purchased four passionflower vines a few months ago from an online nursery with the gift card I received for blogging. Over the past weeks two of the smaller vines in the front yard trellis died, a third one looks pretty bad and only one is doing ok but none of them really thrived or grew very much, very disappointing. I took some photos and emailed them to the store and they gave me a refund on my gift card. We used most of that money to buy two red flowering passionflower vines at the local nursery and in fact they were a dollar cheaper than the online nursery and three times as big as the ones I planted before. We had seen the red flowering version of the passionflower vine around town and thought it would be very pretty on the white trellis. I had no idea Pierson's carried gallon size passionflower vines at such a cheap price ($8.99). I had seen the red passionflower vines on a trip to the nursery shortly after purchasing my online vines and was bummed they had the vines so cheap there since they usually have larger vines that cost $20 to $35 dollars a pot. Two months later I was sure the passionflower vines would be bigger and cost more but luckily there were three red passionflower vines in gallon pots at the low price so I feel lucky they still had a few of the smaller vines left at this price to purchase.

I can already see a small red flower starting to bud on one of the vines. I am hoping these vines really take off for the last two months of summer here so they are established before the cold weather sets in. October cools down typically here, feeling like fall from the first week of the month and the rains have started mid-October before. The passionflower vines are a good two to three feet tall so their size should help with establishing them quickly in the trellis boxes.

We purchased the two passionflower vines, four herbs for the herb barrel, a small starter fuchsia for one of my hanging baskets, and a small hen and chick succulent, all this for $13.00 less than what it cost for the four online vines and two packets of seeds (which also aren't growing btw) plus shipping.

We plan on planting up the two vines and the other plants this coming weekend. I will dig up the plant or two that are alive (one is barely alive) and plant them on either side of the V-shaped wood arbor over our back door. Maybe planting these wimpy passionflower vines directly in the ground will work, but I'm not holding out much hope, my guess is they both eventually die off like the other vines from the online store. Its frustrating to buy four of one plant and not a single plant really thrives. You wouldn't believe how hardy our other passionflower vines on the front fence grow, they are massive. Hopefully these other two red passionflower vines take off quickly, if so we'll purchase another two next spring to join them in the trellis boxes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar